Falkirk Caledonia Choir

Click here to edit subtitle

Members Join Site

FCC Committee meeting 20/02/13

 

Minutes of Caledonia Choir Committee Meeting

 

Wednesday, 20th February, 2013

 

Comely Park School, 7.15 p.m.

 

Action

Present: Mary McCann (MMcC) (President and Chair), Alison Cassells (AC)(Concert Secretary), Paul Cortopassi, (PC) (Bass Steward), Kenneth Grant (KG) (Tenor Steward), David Malloch, (DM) Conductor, Ann McGukin, (AMcG), (Publicity Officer), Iain Risk (IR) (Treasurer), Lesley Roscoe (LR), (Asst. Librarian), Angela Taylor (AT)(Librarian), Liz Williamson (LW) Secretary, Helen Wright,(HW) (1st Sop Steward)

1.

Apologies: Teresa Bryant (TB) (2nd Alto Steward), Marilyn Murray (MM) (1st Alto Steward), Aileen Pepin (2nd Soprano Steward),

2.

Minutes of previous meeting.

Approved by IR and seconded by AC.

3

a)

 

 

 

 

 

b)

 

 

c)

 

Matters arising.

3a) Clear out of old music. Still continuing. It was agreed if there were fewer decent pieces than 30, these could be destroyed, as it would be too costly to replace these items for the whole choir. David would also go through the list of items to highlight any not deemed suitable pieces. AT and LR said they thought a mention to the choir was in order,

as nearly 100% of the Christmas music had been returned.

 

3b) Accounts. Had managed to contact Gift Aid, but the process is more complicated now, but this has now been sent off.

 

3c) Non-returners. 2 sets of music had been returned, but 3 people had not acknowledged letters. LW would send DM the Maddiston address and he would visit. AT agreed to contact Lyndsay Blair. LW (after the meeting) had an email from Jane McGuikin and would pick up her music.

5d) School contacts. LW had written to the four schools, but two were not very keen and the others thought the restrictions would not suit their pupils. LW had offered £25 to each of the schools, to be awarded to a promising music pupil. Only two had replied, so those would receive the cheques. LW to arrange with IR.

 

 

DM/AT/LR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LW/DM/AT

 

 

 

LW

4.

Choir Accounts

IR stated the choir had £9,400 + in hand at the moment. Christmas concert money still not allocated, as he was waiting for the other organisations to get back to him. The Box Office had sent the cheque to FTO. Treasurer.

 

IR

 

5.

a)

 

 

b)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Concerts

Alzheimer’s concert. DM will meet with Douglas Peters and David McClymont to discuss arrangements for the concert. Posters have contact details for tickets, but DM will pick up some for sale to the choir on Monday.

Spring concert.

Rowan McGirr (violinist) had been booked for May 1st concert.

DM to contact her regarding the programme. Choir programme progressing well.

Agreed it would be called ‘May Day Concert’. Publicity to be drawn up. MMcC would speak to Joanne regarding the programme

Programme requires adverts. Need to ask the choir now in order that sufficient funds are raised to create a programme. It was agreed that a list of choir members would be put in, along with profiles on DM and MM (DM to do). It was suggested we ask ‘Why we sing?’ and put comments from a few members in. DM would also contact Charlie Kelly re adverts. Cost of adverts would remain at £30 for an A5 page and £15 for a half. This represents good value to an audience of 480 plus 70 in the choir. IR has Remittance Advice forms which can be used for payment/receipt.

Tickets – to remain at £10 and £8. Steeple would be asked to print, but we would sell them all. We cannot return them to the Steeple once printed. It is easier for the choir to distribute complimentary tickets. PC suggested some be sent to the Falkirk Herald in order to get a critique in the paper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

MMcC

 

DM

 

 

DM

 

AC

 

 

LW

 

6.

Publicity. AMcG tabled some ideas for publicity, including flyers, posters, joining form including how they heard about the choir, and banners. Banners were likely to cause problems in where to put them/how to get permission, but it was agreed flyers and standard posters would be useful. Whilst having adverts in the local papers to raise awareness of the choir’s forth-coming concerts, it was felt that recruitment should stop shortly after the New Year, as it would be difficult for some people to learn the programme in time. Also, librarians find it difficult to keep up the supply of music when new members join during the sessions. DM said he would give details of printers to AMcG.

Whilst the committee thought a standard poster, recognisable as Falkirk Caledonia Choir was a good idea, it should contain the logo and something brighter than that tabled. This raised the issue of the name of the choir being associated with Scottish music and DM suggested it was time for a change. LW felt it would be more sensible to wait until after the 90th anniversary (next year) and that it would need to be tabled at the AGM.

 

 

 

AMcG

 

DM

7

a).

 

 

b)

 

 

c)

 

 

 

 

 

 

d)

 

 

 

 

e)

 

 

 

 

f)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

g)

A.O.C.B.

Charity donations. LW just wanted to confirm that the choir would propose two donations to ENABLE and Camphill, Blair Drummond. This to be tabled at the AGM.

 

A.G.M. MMcC had booked the hall for Monday 13th May. LW would send out reminders/minutes and notice of vacant positions nearer the time.

 

90th Anniversary. LW told the committee that it would be the official 90th anniversary of the choir in 2014 and felt there should be some special arrangements/celebrations. A meal was suggested. Audience at May Day concert to be asked to select favourite choir repertoire pieces to be performed at the 2014 concert. Choir members should be asked for ideas at A.G.M.

 

FDACC. There is to be a parade on Sat. 11th May to show off groups in the Falkirk and District Arts and Civic Council, to be run as the opening of the Tryst Festival. The committee had reservations about the practicalities and did not agree to the choir participating.

 

Flash Mob. PC suggested a flash mob as part of a publicity drive. Falkirk Council unlikely to agree, as this has been requested before. However, it was noted the previous date was close to Christmas and DM suggested we ask the Falkirk Town Centre management if there could be a more suitable date.

 

Erskine Church. The Church could be made available to the choir all year round and there would be a slight saving in cost. It was noted however, that a decision on what was to happen to the church is yet to be made and the committee felt it would be unwise to move there until arrangements were known, as we may not be able to get back to Comely Park if we move out. IR stated that the Ochiltree Club could be made available to the choir on Mondays if need be.

 

Patrons. PC suggested that there could be income to the choir in obtaining Patrons as a form of sponsorship, To be followed up for our 90th year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AMcG

8.

D.O.N.M A.G.M. Monday 13th May, 7.30, Comely Park School. A short meeting may be necessary during break one or two evenings before the concert.

MMcC

 

Sort by

AC
Member
Male
Falkirk

Allistair
Member
Male - 67
Bonnybridge

Douglas
Member
Male - 59
Falkirk

Graham
Member
Male - 56
Stirling

Liz Williamson
Member
Female
Falkirk

Margaret Todd Sweeney
Member
Female - 69
Grangemouth

Mark the Tenor
Member
Male
Grangemouth

Teresa Bryant
Member
Female - 68
Alto

carol wright
Member
Female - 64
falkirk

Ish
Member
Female
Falkirk

dickens
Site Owner
Falkirk, United Kingdom

james donaldson
Member
Male
bass